August 1852 - St. John's Lutheran
Church was organized with the following charter members: Friedrich Osiek
and his wife Wilhelmena Charlotte, Martin Kleinebecker and his wife, John
Bente and his wife, Henry Kampschmidt and his wife, Frederick Biest and
his wife, William Kampsmith and his wife, William Hottmer and his wife,
William Stumpe and his wife, Jurgin Dierking and his wife, Henry Hearth
and his wife, Henry Fechtler and his wife, Henry Lohmeyer and his wife,
Henry Wilbenscher and his wife, Henry Koch and his wife, Henry Temme and
his wife, and Friedrich Koch and his wife.
October 28, 1852 - The original land investment of 20 acres was purchased
from Friedrich Osiek and his wife Wilhelmena Charlotte, nee Kampschmidt
1852 - The first church building was built and made of logs,
and used until 1876, when a brick church was built.
October 15, 1858 - 10 more acres were purchased for $25.00 making
a total cost for the land of $55.00.
August 9, 1879 - School established and decision made to build new
October 4, 1885 - St. John's joined German Evangelical Lutheran Synod
of Missouri, Ohio and other states.
January 1, 1891 - To build Tower / Steeple and have bell to call
us to service.
1892 - The installation of a 1,200 pound bell in the steeple.
July 4, 1897 - School picnic.
July 29 1900 - St. John's Lutheran Church was built near the center
of the village of Beaufort in 1876, only to have the town move away in pursuit
of the railroad line.
1911- A new organ was purchased replacing the Melodian in use previously.
1911- The congregation voted to have sermons in English, rather than
all in German which had been used heretofore.
1921 - Building addition to Parsonage.
1927 - School House destroyed by a tornado and replaced shortly afterward.
October 27, 1927 - Tabea Ladies Aid met and organized.
November 11, 1927 - Aid Association for Lutherans - Local Branch
No. 972. First recorded meeting.
1930 - The first pipe organ was installed.
November 1936 - The St. John's Walther League organized.
1936 - The "May Pole".
February 7, 1937 - St. John's Ushers' Staff organized.
February 14, 1937 - To build a light line.
1938 - Weekly Bulletin began publication by the St. John's Ushers'
September 3, 1939 - Church Rededicated to the service and glory of
1941 & 1942 - The Auditorium was built as a memorial to those
who served in WW II. It was built out of oak logs cut from the property
by the congregation. The Auditorium was dedicated May 31, 1942.
August 9, 1942 - Ninetieth Anniversary Celebration.
September 1944 - The Ladies Aid decided to send Christmas boxes to
the boys in service.
November 18, 1949 - Couples Club organized with 7 Couples.
1952 - A new pipe organ
August 10, 1952 - St. John's Lutheran Church celebrated their Centennial
year. Rev. Walter J. Gieselman was also installed as pastor of the congregation
that same day.
November 16, 1969 - Drill a Well.
June 29, 1975 - Steeple completed with brick work and tuck pointing.
April 1982 - Decided to have a Pork Sausage Supper in the Fall.
April 12, 1982 - Siding project on Auditorium about completed.
March 1983 - Church pews refinished, interior walls painted, new
floor tile installed in church by Ladies Aid.
October 17, 1983 - Change Church Picnic date to 3rd Sunday in
April 26, 1987 - Open House and Re-Dedication of the Parsonage.
Spring 1990 - The Picnic House demolished and replaced with Pavilion.
1991 - The Marquee was placed.
August 16, 1992 - St. John's Lutheran Church 140th Anniversary Special
1992 - Fall Cards group organized, the primary card game being Euchre.
1998 - Landscaping with curbing tiles in the front of church. The
Ladies Aid introduced their new Cook Book.
Spring 2000 - Stone designating St. John's Lutheran Church and Landscaping
at road entrance.
Spring 2001 - Completed School House Renovation. Dedication service
June 17, 2001.
Summer 2002 - 150th Year Celebration. August 24, 2002.